10.03.2006

1968: PETULA CLARK & The YOUNG RASCALS



The Batman Theme
song sent me on a flying frenzy through the house, with a cape (actually, a pink and white striped bath towel) around my shoulders. This uncontrollable behavior culminated in spilling grape juice on the (we just took off the price tag) new couch, leaving a permanent dark purple stain on the olive green and harvest gold floral upholstery.


Petula Clark songs always made me very happy. She always looked so graceful and friendly on TV variety shows, but what exactly about those songs snagged my attention?

Her hits were full-bodied, lush arrangements with big, gooey choruses, it’s true, but for a 3 year old, it’s all about the tambourines! Check into any of Petula’s big hits and note that it hits lift off the very moment the tambourine enters the mix.

I also remember twirling madly about the room to the bridge and final chorus of The Young Rascal's “How Can I Be Sure.” I’m fascinated by how this song - along with Petula Clark and Bacharach/David - enchanted me as a cherub and then went on to remain my most enduring favorites. I instinctively loved intricate, orchestral pop then, and marvel at it now. This doesn’t prove that, with potty training out of the way, I was able to develop good musical taste. It only proves that great art communicates on such a primal level that even a 3-year old gets it.

Intro to Batman TV show.

Petula Clark - I Couldn't Live Without Your Love

Hear Young Rascal's How Can I Be Sure
.

November 1973: HELEN REDDY - Leave Me Alone (Ruby Red Dress)

I had the biggest crush on a blonde hair, blue eyed boy in my 2nd grade class, Scott Van Seiver. Proximity is what made these feelings so u...